Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Photo Essay: My Gabii sa Kabilin

Cebu closed summer by opening the doors of the past. May ended with heaven's outburst—a prelude to the June rain. It eventually ebbed, allowing people to saunter streets umbrellaless.

Light rain was a great setting for a journey to the things all creaky and old, to the places that I barely knew, to the half-forgotten, the forgotten.

Patterned after Germany's Lange Nacht der Museen or Long Night of the Museums, GSK began with three participating sites when it first started in 2007. From three, it swelled to thirty-three this year.

And for someone who did not grow up in the city like me, Gabii sa Kabilin (Night of Heritage), organized by Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc in partnership with National Commission for Culture and Arts, was a night of understanding the metropolis' past a little more.

 Casa Gorordo's library. Original copies of Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo are on top of chest cabinet.

 For me, Casa Gorordo has the most organized tour. Each section has a guide that detailed the life of the Gorordos.
 The oldest of them all is the Yap-Sandiego's valuables. With my backpack and umbrella, I was afraid to hit something.
 Gabii sa Kabilin bustled with life. Many activities gathered crowds outside Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House.
 A little gate to the little lawn of Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House.
The familiar and happy faces of Tribu Mabulukon—one of the interesting contingents in Sinulog—danced the night away.
 Gabii sa Kabilin was not only a night of heritage for me but also a night of tinkering Pawlito and Nikkita.
 I had fun playing with shutter speed, ISO, and aperture outside Yap-Sandiego, which had the most activities.
Fire dancing was one of the highlights outside this historical ancestral home.
Heritage of Cebu Monument was a beautiful backdraft for shooting GSK volunteers.  
On the other side, a participant took a picture of Heritage of Cebu Monument. 
It was my first time walking around this area. So I walked around several times to familiarize the streets and figured out Casa Gorordo, Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House, the Heritage of Cebu Monument are in one place!Parian! I was such a kid. 
I sampled some of our national hero's favorite dishes at University of SouthernPhilippines Foundation.
 I tried Rizal's tinolang manok. I would say nothing is tastier than manok bisaya with kamunggay and tangad.
 University of Southern Philippines Found has the largest Rizal collection outside Metro Manila.
 Cathedral Museum of Cebu showcased the ecclesiastical treasures from different parishes of Archdiocese of Cebu.
 Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral was not as crowded as the rest. I found its lights beautiful.
 While walking my way to Sto. Niño, this was the view on my right.

A painful scene I saw at Sto. Niño. I thought only Baclaran had this.
 Gabii sa Kabilin is not complete without a kalesa ride.


Participants are entitled to have a free kalesa ride.

In front of Fort San Pedro, a brass band entertained the guests at Plaza Independencia's gazebos.


And that is my Gabii sa Kabilin 2013. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment